- Your women's studies prof: Class, do you think pornography enables male entitlement?
- You: Well, according to this essay I read by someone who does porn, it doesn't make a lot of sense to just critique it as a piece of media + not a site + product of highly stigmatized labor. So, yes, it does, but that may largely be beside the point of where and how male violence occurs in relation to pornography.
- That lady at your local NOW chapter: It is WRONG for men to purchase sex, therefore we must make it illegal.
- You: I agree that capitalist conditions create coercive and abusive situations for those in the sex industry, but carceral solutions don't address that underlying issue.
- Your younger sister: *points at a Maxim magazine cover* Isn't it wrong that there are all these sexualized pictures of women everywhere?
- You: It's wrong that the male gaze is all-pervasive and our idea of the ideal woman is profoundly racist, sizeist, ableist, and cissexist. It's also wrong that these images exist within the context of a violent patriarchal culture, but the images themselves are not wrong.
- Some rando in your ask box: How do we end the abuse of people in the sex industries?
- You: Let me link you to this blog by sex workers advocating for workers' rights.
- Your boyfriend: Why is there so much bad sex in porn?
- You: Let me show you this essay on porn by a sex worker.
- Your girlfriend: Stripping is exploitative.
- You: Let me show you this academic article written by a stripper.
- Your aunt: Dominatrices probably think they're empowered but really--
- You: Here's a thing written by a sex worker.
- Your grandpa: Prostitution--
- You: Here's a thing written by a sex worker.
- Your cat:
- You: Good point, let me read you this issue of Prose & Lore out loud.
- You: *signal boosts our words + shows up at rallies + emails legislators + gives orgs like Abeni + Sex Workers Project all your damn money*
So, i read this awful article using bathroom “scare tactics,” which was claiming that trans women are potential rapists. “Men” who dress as women to gain access to women only spaces and force them self on women. This really upset me and i had a bit of a Twitter rant. They were read by others and i was urged to post them in other media also, so i am posting them here. (Edited together in easy reading format from top to bottom.)
This is the link in the first tweet about how there are no cases of a trans woman attacking a cis woman in public restrooms: Link 1.
This is the link in the second tweet about the cases where trans people are assaulted in the bathroom by cis people: Link 2.
if you’re cis and you follow me i’m gonna need you to reblog this
don’t care if you’re cis or trans, this is important.
I have rebagled this before and I’m doing it again
IT TOOK ME TWO TIMES TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS GOING ON, HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY SIDES.
One of the reasons these scenes are so compelling to me is just look at Sherlock’s face in the last gif. He’s been writing to Moriarty for months. She’s someone with a genius intellect and a possibly higher IQ than his own, someone who can finally keep up with him (mentally). They could discuss the very secrets of the universe itself, or mathematical formulas that have stumped the greatest minds for thousands of years, and of all the things they could have written about they are talking about Joan’s dating life. And just look at his face in the last gif. He pauses, almost like this is the norm for the two, and until Joan pointed it out he didn’t find anything unusual with this line of discussion. That makes me think that the last letter was not the first time they were talking about Joan’s personal life and they have done this before, perhaps multiple times. Moriarty’s a manipulator of the highest caliber and she has already proven proficiency at managing Sherlock. This mention of Watson is very deliberate on Moriarty’s part. If you don’t agree, just look at Exhibit A. Some girls write their object of affection’s name in their notebooks and draw hearts, Moriarty likes to do the slightly more adult version and creates a humungous painting of Joan’s face. This is not a random incidence, or even a onetime thing. If Joan was being discussed, you bet your ass Moriarty was the one to lead Sherlock to that line of conversation. Just that first expression in the last gif is oh God I fucked up abort abort
Also, let me remind you that the look on Moriarty’s face in the 2nd and 3rd gifs is her staring at a big ass painting of Joan.
They are making 7 Arabian nights movies. You know the casting department is already thinking
i will return for the child within one month
this is your warning
This was my chemistry professor.
FUCK nintendo (opens my wallet) i CANNOT believe they’re selling this shit (pulls out $150) an entirely new fucking console that’s exactly like the old one (gives money to cashier) all it is is a new fucking button the 3ds doesnt have (goes home with my new 3ds ll) this is fucking bullshit god damn it (buys and plays all the games that come out for it) fuck nintendo
The cruellest thing I’ve ever witnessed on Bake Off. Bloody Diana!
Wil Wheaton, mensch.
But are you paying attention to what’s going on??? My heart is so heavy….. so heavy…
An attorney for the family of John Crawford III, the man fatally shot by police in an Ohio Walmart store, says surveillance video contradicts the police department’s version of events. Officers say Crawford refused to drop the pellet gun he was holding, but the video allegedly shows them gunning him down “on sight.”
Crawford, 22, was shopping at the Beavercreek, Ohio store on Aug. 5 whenpolice responded to another customer’s report that Crawford was carrying an AR-15 rifle. He was actually holding a pellet air rifle he had just picked up from a shelf in the store’s toy department.
Attorney Michael Wright says he viewed surveillance video that shows Crawford was facing away from the cops and talking to his girlfriend on the phone when police spotted him, and didn’t have the toy gun raised. Hetold WDTN Crawford probably didn’t see or hear the officers before he was shot.
"John was doing nothing wrong in Walmart, nothing more, nothing less than shopping,"Wright said, according to Reuters.
#johncrawford #rip #justice #dontshoot
- game: WITCHES
- me: .............. witches??
- game: WITCHESSSSS
- me: witches?!
- game: WIIIIITTTCHEEEESSSSSS
I AM NOT OK WITH A GOOD LIKE 40% OR SO OF THE EMOTIONS THIS GAME MADE ME FEEL SO I DREW SOMETHING WITH EMOTIONS THAT DON’T MAKE ME FEEL A COMBINATION OF SCARED/HORRIFIED/SAD
First the cops said Mike Brown stole candy from a store. Then the store denied any such thing happened. Then the cops claimed Brown was trying to wrestle the gun from the cop in the car…despite the fact all the witnesses claim he was several feet away from the car and never near it.
IMO, by the time the Ferguson cops are done, they’ll have claimed Brown also shot Lincoln, JFK, Biggie and Tupac.
Please stay woke, people
CINEMATIC MILES MORALES COSPLAY
Yo! My name is Nikolas A. Draper-Ivey…This is cosplay as Cinematic Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider Man. This suit was made by Jesse Covington ( Writer and Costume Designer) and sewn by Sasha Williams ( Fashion Major graduate). Photos were taken by Pierre BL Brevard I specifically would like to thank Marvel Comics Artist Sara Pichelli for designing this character. I’m also very excited to see Olivier Coipel's work on Spider-Verse!
(Full shoot will be shot in New York itself just in time for NYCC)